About Planning & Zoning
Welcome to the Planning & Zoning page, a division of the Community and Economic Development Department. The Planning & Zoning division works in conjunction with the Building & Permitting division within the same department to ensure a higher degree of customer service by providing a seamless permitting process between the building and the planning sections.
Planning and Zoning Division is responsible for providing technically sound and professional recommendations to ensure strict adherence to the Village's Land Development Code, Comprehensive Plan, and any other concurrency regulations and for the efficient and timely processing of zoning applications. The division oversees and manages the Art In Public Places program.
Main Areas of Responsibility
- Land Development Code
- Comprehensive Plan
- Planning & Zoning Concurrency Regulations
- Zoning Application Review and Approvals
- Business Tax Licenses
- Art in Public Places Program
- Special Events/ Sign Permits
- Administer the Art in Public Places Program
- Administer zoning regulations and processes in accordance with the Land Development Code
- Continue development and complete adoption process of a Village Land Development Code
- Continue development of the GIS for Village needs including adding historic zoning information and code enforcement actions at the parcel level
- Continue implementation of adopted Comprehensive Plan
- Continue implementation of Franjo Island/U.S. 1 Island Area Mixed Use
- Continue to administer the permit process for sidewalk cafes and garage sales
- Continue to monitor monthly update process of the GIS for property and ownership information to provide current and accurate property data
- Implement the Village Mixed Use Zoning District Regulations
- Represent the Village at planning and development conferences and seminars
Community Development is another function that was reorganized this budget year to achieve a higher level of efficiency as the Village moves to absorb the additional work that will come with the downtown redevelopment. Building and planning functions were integrated into a single department to allow for a better flow in the permitting process.
At the start of the fiscal year, our focus was to complete the newly designed zoning code for the future downtown. With the code currently in place, the strategy has shifted to assist with the implementation, which we are currently doing. As the downtown proceeds to redevelop, this function will continue to evolve in accordance with the needs of the Village.
At this time, the following efforts have been accomplished: