About the Building & Permitting Division
Main Areas of Responsibility
- Oversee the building, code compliance, and Flood Plain administration functions
- Performs the critical functions of safeguarding the health, safety and welfare of the residents by enforcing and implementing federal, state and local building laws
- Enforces all codes
- Ensures that all work performed is to the standards as set forth by the Florida Building Code and that all work is properly permitted
- Responsible for educating the public on the Village’s code regulations and enforcing those regulations
The overall goal of this division is to ensure the safety, health and welfare of each resident and neighborhood in a responsible and professionally sensitive manner.
About Building & Permitting
- Ensure that laws and regulations governing the construction industry are implemented consistently and uniformly throughout the Building Department and within our customer base.
- Improve service delivery for residents, businesses and trade representatives.
- Enhance access to information concerning the building and permitting laws and processes by implementing a software module through Eden.
- Facilitate retrieval and access to closed project plans and information and ease storage needs by continuing to scan and store data electronically.
- Promote and implement green initiatives in accordance with Village policies.
- Promote the new Eden software module to allow for easier access and posting of all plan review and inspection results.
- Respond to code complaints in a professional and expeditious manner.
- Implement code compliance policies set by the Village Council as specific topics that impact the Village (i.e. un-kept pools / mosquitoes, water restrictions and lot maintenance at abandoned properties).
- Administer the Special Master hearing process for appeals to code citations and mitigation cases.
- Continue to educate residential and commercial property owners on code requirements.
- Secure code compliance through a progressive system of enforcement actions.
- Work directly with residents to address code issues within neighborhoods.
The material presented on this site is believed to be accurate at the time of its posting. However, much of the information provided is continually changing and, therefore, the accuracy of the material cannot be guaranteed. All official documents of the Village of Palmetto Bay fall under various public information and disclosure laws. The official versions may be obtained through the Office of the Village Clerk. While the material on this site may be reproduced with attribution, we recommend that its accuracy is first verified with the Office of the Village Clerk before reproduction.
Emails and other forms of communication with the Village of Palmetto Bay and its employees become a matter of public record, subject to public records laws and regulations, and may be subject to public disclosure upon request.