The Parks & Recreation Department is responsible for planning, organizing, supervising, directing, and administering all activities related to our parks system and recreation programming, special events, and community outreach programs.
VILLAGE CELEBRATES EARTH WEEK, APRIL 21 - 26
Palmetto Bay celebrates Earth Day with a full week of events for Villagers of all ages. The 2014 celebration includes Movie Night, Tree Give-Away, Poster Contest, and Lady Bug Releases. This year, our family bicycle event is bigger and better. And don't forget to view our Earth Week video from 2013.. DEC. 9, 2013
THANKS FOR HELPING "PICK THE FLICK" FOR MOVIE NITE
A spectacular Earth Week Celebration takes place April 21-26 with a Bike-B-Q, 75,000 ladybugs, and a free-tree give away. Thank you to those who participated in our "Pick the Flick" survey. "Frozen" was the top pick and will be shown during Movie Night, April 25, at Coral Reef Park. APR 20, 2014
CELEBRATION PICNIC HOSTS PICNIC FOR 4,000 RESIDENTS AND GUESTS
The Village hosted its 12th Annual Celebration Picnic, March 1, 2014, with 3,500 hot dogs, 4,000 Krispy Kreme donuts, and thousands of other goodies -- all free -- thanks to the support of our event sponsors! Thank you for joining us at Coral Reef Park for this public event. MAR 01, 2014
Tai Chi in the Park ... World Tai Chi & Qigong Day is celebrated annually around the world on the last Saturday in April. A group of Tai Chi enthusiasts in Palmetto Bay will recognize this event in the Meditation Garden at Coral Reef Park, April 26, from 8 a.m. to noon. The group invites residents out for refreshments, tai chi and qigong demonstrations, and socializing – whether you participate in tai chi or not. Please contact Joe Casaday for information. Contact resident Joe Casaday re: this non-Village sanctioned activity (no fee required) at 305/253-5172. See Facebook for related photos. APR 26, 2013
Holiday by the Bay ... Thanks for joining us Dec 7 at the 4th Annual "Holiday by the Bay" event at Ludovici Park. A thousand guests enjoyed student performances, carnival foods, arts & crafts, Santa sittings -- and snow! Thanks to South Motors BMW and to Kimley-Horn & Associates. Read more; see photos on Facebook. DEC. 9, 2013
Tennis Upgrades ... Enjoy new sport-lighting and a court resurfacing at Coral Reef Tennis Center put in place during a Fall 2013 renovation . See Facebook photos and Palmetto Bay News coverage NOV 1, 2013
"Monsters in the Park... Nearly 1,000 residents attended "Monsters in the Park" on Halloween at Coral Reef Park -- many in costume -- to enjoy trick or treating and a showing of “Monsters University.” See photos. OCT 31, 2013
Tennis Center Upgrades ... Coral Reef Tennis Center is now open for business following a major facelift. Read more. NOV 26, 2013
Parks Calendar ... So many activities to chose from during Aug/Sep 2013. Yoga, Boot Camp, Tai‐Chi, Zumba, Tennis, Flag Football... Whether you're young or young at heart, we're at your service in "The Village of Parks." AUG 1, 2013
BIKE305 Initiative ... The Village of Palmetto bay is one of numerous municipalities partnering with Miami-Dade County's Bike305 Initiative -- a fun, healthy way to explore, experience, and connect with our neighboring communities. Read more. MAR 15, 2013
Coral Reef Park Video ... Palmetto Bay's Village parks video series launched last fall with a destination piece on Coral Reef Park. Narrated by Summer Camp Counselor Neal Simmons, the Ludovici Park feature is set for a January release. See photos recently shot during production. JAN 4, 2013
Thalatta Estate Website ... We know you "love" Thalatta Estate Park. Now you may "Like" it. A new Facebook page has been created for our beautiful wedding and events venue. Obtain open park times, wedding announcements, and updated photos of the park. NOV 14, 2012
Meditation Garden ... Palmetto Bay's s biggest secret is a little spot nestled along the canalway in Coral Reef Park: The Ken Robinson Meditation Garden, the perfect venue to host a small wedding or reception -- or simply to meditate. Contact us via e-mail or call 305-234-6383. JAN 4, 2013
Community Room for Free ... Nonprofits, charitable organizations, and community groups may host meetings in the Edward & Arlene Feller Community Room (EAF) -- for free. Read this ordinance. For info, availability, or an application, contact us in writing or call 305-259-1234. JUN 14, 2012
Department News Archive
Please click on the park name to explore each facility.
- Coral Reef Park (51.3 acres)
- Palmetto Bay Park (19.6 acres)
- Perrine Wayside (Dog) Park
- Thalatta Park
- Ludovici Park (Miami-Dade Public Library / Arlene & Edward Feller Community Room & Amphitheater)
The Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for the planning, organizing, supervising, directing and administering of all activities related to parks and recreation, special events and community outreach programs. To that extent, the Department directs and coordinates the installation and maintenance of park facilities including park structures and landscaped areas in the parks, prepares bid specifications and project cost estimates for park maintenance outsource contracts, and administers all aspects of said contracts.
The Parks and Recreation Department manages the Village of Palmetto Bay system of local and regional parks which create a compilation of beautiful park facilities. Ranging from serene to active, educational to recreational, and relaxing to exercising, the parks offer a myriad of rewarding activities for all to enjoy.
The Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for the planning, organizing, supervising, directing and administering of all activities related to parks and recreation, special events and community outreach programs.
The specific goals of the Department are to:
- Enhance parks safety and security during special events, home games, tournaments and before and after hours.
- Seek professional development for Director in all aspects of municipal government and continue to grow all parks and recreation personnel.
- Enhance recruitment of professional parks and recreation staff.
- Continue to seek sponsorships and donations for programming, special events and enhancement of parks.
- Expand in house recreational programming.
- Explore best practices to efficiently and fiscally operate and manage multiple concessions.
- Continue to enhance parks grounds & turf using professional in house staff, developing specific maintenance programs.
- Continue to support Village “Green Initiatives” through commitment to environmental education and conservation.
- Continue to promote and require attendance of management personnel to attend state and national conferences to keep up with certifications and industry initiatives.
- Continue to encourage the cooperation between the village and neighborhood schools.
- Continue to seek innovative and creative ways to improve on operations & expenditures, and look for ways to increase revenue.
- Continue to work with Public Works, PIO, and Police to enhance, promote and protect our park facilities.
- Promote and enhance communications emphasizing the importance of prioritizing and time management.
- Continue to work with contractors/vendors to enhance and repair park facilities.
Village Department of Parks & Recreation (305) 259-1234
Fanny Carmona-Gonzalez, Director
Josie Bober, Administrative Assistant
Kirk Hearin, Parks & Recreation Manager
Valentin Garcia, Grounds/Facility Maintenance Supervisor
Wayne Silvestro, Park Supervisor-Coral Reef Park
Luis “Marty” Tejeda, Park Supervisor-Palmetto Bay Park
Mary S. Fernandez, Special Events Supervisor
For party rental information, please visit the Facility Rentals
For Park Programming Contact Information, click here.
Back to Top