The Village of Palmetto Bay has an approved ordinance concerning garage sales within Village boundaries. The ordinance provides the rules and regulations for garage sales, including number of sales allowed per year, number and placement of advertising signs among others. See the Rules and Regulations section of this page for additional information.
Garage sales in Palmetto Bay must be permitted. Applying for a permit is quick, simple and free of charge. Owners wishing to have a garage sale must submit a permit application to the Department of Community Development.
Permitted garage sales may be advertised on the Village web site prior to your sale day, as a free service to Palmetto Bay residents. We must receive your application by 3 p.m. on the WEDNESDAY prior to the scheduled garage-sale date in order to be included in the weekly website listing (which is compiled and posted each Friday). You may even submit your notice a couple weeks in advance, if you wish.
Garage sale applications may continue to be accepted and processed through noon Friday, but you will not receive a free posting here on the website. Descriptions of items are taken directly from the application and are therefore listed exactly as they appear on the application.
Garage Sale Shopping Tips
Veteran garage-sale enthusiast Judy Jones shares tips on how to make your next garage sale experience easier, safer, smarter, and more enjoyable -- whether you're the buyer or seller. Visit "Keepin' Up With the Jonses" for more.
POSTED EVERY FRIDAY BY 5 P.M.
July 4, 8am-11am
7666 SW 143rd Street
Clothes, games, books, toys
July 4, 7am-12pm
17435 SW 91st Avenue
Household kitchen items, clothes, twin bunk bed, bay clothes, men’s clothes, women’s clothes
- Definition: A garage sale means the sale of personal property at the property on which the sale is occurring. The term shall include, but not be limited to, "lawn sale," "yard sale," "estate sale" or "rummage sale."
- Number of Sales: Each single-family homeowner, multifamily residence building or charitable, civic, educational, or religious organization is permitted 4 garage sales per calendar year (January-December.)
- Time: Garage sales may only take place during daylight hours.
- Permit Required: Prior to holding a garage sale, the property owner or tenant shall obtain a permit. There shall be no fee for the permit. Merchandise: Merchandise to be sold at a garage sale shall have been previously used or crafted and not belonging to a business entity.
- Merchandise Display: Merchandise to be sold at a garage sale shall be displayed in a garage, carport, private driveway, or yard. Merchandise shall not be displayed on public right-of-way or swale area. All items must be removed by the end of the last day of the sale.
- Signs: up to 4 signs providing directions to a garage sale are permitted to be placed off-site from the location of the garage sale 2 signs advertising a garage sale are permitted to be displaced on private property where the garage sale is bring held, signs advertising a garage sale shall not be displayed until the first day of the sale and shall be removed at the end of the last day of the sale, signs shall not be larger than 22 inches by 28 inch; signs shall include the property address of the garage sale and the garage sale permit number.
Palmetto Bay Municipal Center
9705 E. Hibiscus St.
Palmetto Bay, FL 33157
e-mail: Planning & Zoning Dept.