Parks & Recreation Department is responsible for planning, organizing, supervising, directing, and administering all activities related to our parks system and recreation programming, special events, and community outreach programs.
KICK BALL LEAGUE ESTABLISHED FOR ADULT MEN & WOMEN
An adult co-ed Kick Ball League is now forming. Please attend a coach meeting Sept. 30, 7 p.m., at Palmetto Bay Park -- home field for the league. Entry fee is $300 per team, players must be 21 or older, 15 players per team (at least 4 women). For info or to register, contact Park Supervisor Marty Tejeda or call 305-251-2751. SEP 30, 2014
THANKS FOR HELPING PICK-THE-FLICK FOR MOVIE NIGHT
e-Currents subscribers recently participated in a survey that helped us "Pick the Flick" for Halloween Movie Night at Coral Reef Park on Oct. 31. Thank you for your valuable input. we will share results of the survey by the Sept. 26. We look forward to a great night out with family and friends. Event also includes a trick-or-treating and costume contest. OCT 31, 2014
TENNIS PLAY DAY AT CORAL REEF PARK, OCT. 8
Hit with the latest Wilson "Spin Effect" racquet (or racket, whichever spelling you prefer) at the Oct. 8 Tennis Play Day at Coral Reef Park, 5:30 - 8:30 pm. Free demo event for Juniors and Adults requires advance registration: Contact USPTA-PTR Pro Kara Borromeo (305-807-4943) or Lee Pettis (305-807-1491). Also see Facebook. OCT 08, 2014
NATURE POSTINGS REVIEWS PARK PROGRAMS AND ACTIVITIES
Nature Postings, one of Palmetto Bay’s most popular providers of park programs and adventures for Village residents, recently provided a summary of activities related to their following offerings: Nature Afloat Program, Family Kayak Adventures, and Summer Camps. SEP 15, 2014
GARDENING WORKSHOP REGISTRATION OPEN FOR OCTOBER
Residents are encouraged to sign up now for the final Responsible Gardening Workshop of the season at Thalatta Estate, Oct. 10. Learn about composting, with Village resident and Master Gardener Terri Stephen in partnership with UF/Miami-Dade County Extension. See photos. OCT 10, 2014
Back to Home
Back to School Festival ... Residents enjoyed our Back-to-School Carnival Aug. 9 at Palmetto Bay Park, that offered free backpacks and school supplies, as well as fun food for purchase, unlimited rides, and games. AUG. 09, 2014
Independence Day ... Thousands of Villagers experienced Independence Day in Downtown Palmetto Bay with food trucks, live music, a beer-garden, and a giant fireworks display. See photos and video. JUL 4, 2014
Eco-Tour via Kayak ... The monthly Mangrove Kayak Adventure program at Thalatta Estate has been expanded. Contact Parks & Rec now for availability thru Nov. 2014, or call 305-259-1234. Upon confirmation of reservations, please complete this registration. Also see photos. MAY 20, 2014
Get a Kid Fishing ... Families and kids of all ages enjoyed this free, fun-filled and hands-on marine experience at Thalatta Estate, July 13. Boating & water safety, use equipment, and how to be good stewards of the environment were on the syllabus. See photos. JUL 13, 2014
July 4th in Downtown ... Thousands experienced Independence Day in Downtown Palmetto Bay with food trucks, live music, contests, a beer-garden, and a giant fireworks display. See photos -- and video. JUL 4, 2014
BIKE305 Initiative ... The Village of Palmetto bay is one of numerous municipalities partnering with Miami-Dade County's Bike305 Initiative -- a fun, healthy way to explore, experience, and connect with our neighboring communities. Read more. MAR 15, 2013
Coral Reef Park Video ... Palmetto Bay's Village parks video series launched last fall with a destination piece on Coral Reef Park. Narrated by Summer Camp Counselor Neal Simmons, the Ludovici Park feature is set for a January release. See photos recently shot during production. JAN 4, 2013
Thalatta Estate Website ... We know you "love" Thalatta Estate Park. Now you may "Like" it. A new Facebook page has been created for our beautiful natural park and event venue. NOV 14, 2012
Meditation Garden ... Palmetto Bay's s biggest secret is a little spot nestled along the canalway in Coral Reef Park: The Ken Robinson Meditation Garden, the perfect venue to host a small wedding or reception -- or simply to meditate. Contact us via e-mail or call 305-234-6383. JAN 4, 2013
Community Room for Free ... Nonprofits, charitable organizations, and community groups may host meetings in the Edward & Arlene Feller Community Room (EAF) -- for free. Read this ordinance. For info, availability, or an application, contact us in writing or call 305-259-1234. JUN 14, 2012
Department News Archive
Back to Top
Please click on the park name to explore each facility.
- Coral Reef Park (51.3 acres)
- Palmetto Bay Park (19.6 acres)
- Perrine Wayside (Dog) Park
- Thalatta Park
- Ludovici Park (Miami-Dade Public Library / Arlene & Edward Feller Community Room & Amphitheater)
The Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for the planning, organizing, supervising, directing and administering of all activities related to parks and recreation, special events and community outreach programs. To that extent, the Department directs and coordinates the installation and maintenance of park facilities including park structures and landscaped areas in the parks, prepares bid specifications and project cost estimates for park maintenance outsource contracts, and administers all aspects of said contracts.
The Parks and Recreation Department manages the Village of Palmetto Bay system of local and regional parks which create a compilation of beautiful park facilities. Ranging from serene to active, educational to recreational, and relaxing to exercising, the parks offer a myriad of rewarding activities for all to enjoy.
The Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for the planning, organizing, supervising, directing and administering of all activities related to parks and recreation, special events and community outreach programs.
The specific goals of the Department are to:
- Enhance parks safety and security during special events, home games, tournaments and before and after hours.
- Seek professional development for Director in all aspects of municipal government and continue to grow all parks and recreation personnel.
- Enhance recruitment of professional parks and recreation staff.
- Continue to seek sponsorships and donations for programming, special events and enhancement of parks.
- Expand in house recreational programming.
- Explore best practices to efficiently and fiscally operate and manage multiple concessions.
- Continue to enhance parks grounds & turf using professional in house staff, developing specific maintenance programs.
- Continue to support Village “Green Initiatives” through commitment to environmental education and conservation.
- Continue to promote and require attendance of management personnel to attend state and national conferences to keep up with certifications and industry initiatives.
- Continue to encourage the cooperation between the village and neighborhood schools.
- Continue to seek innovative and creative ways to improve on operations & expenditures, and look for ways to increase revenue.
- Continue to work with Public Works, PIO, and Police to enhance, promote and protect our park facilities.
- Promote and enhance communications emphasizing the importance of prioritizing and time management.
- Continue to work with contractors/vendors to enhance and repair park facilities.
Village Department of Parks & Recreation (305) 259-1234
Fanny Carmona-Gonzalez, Director
Josie Bober, Administrative Assistant
Kirk Hearin, Parks & Recreation Manager
Valentin Garcia, Grounds/Facility Maintenance Supervisor
Park Supervisor-Coral Reef Park
Luis “Marty” Tejeda, Park Supervisor-Palmetto Bay Park
- Party rental information: visit Facility Rentals
- Contact information: Park Program providers/vendors
Back to To