The Parks & Recreation Department is responsible for planning, organizing, supervising, directing, and administering all activities related to our parks system and recreation programming, special events, and community outreach programs.
SUMMER CAMP REGISTRATION NOW UNDERWAY FOR 2013
Palmetto Bay's popular Summer Camp (8-week session) and Tennis Camp (10- week session) both kick off June 10. Register now to ensure your kids have full access to a professionally supervised summer of fun in the Village of Parks. MAY 6, 2012
THALATTA HOSTS ANNUAL CELEBRATION -- PERFECT VENUE FOR ARTS FAIR
The Mayor and members of the Council officially opened the 4th Annual “Celebrate Youth Arts Festival” April 14. See Facebook for photos of this private event hosted by the Village's professional events management staff at Thalatta Estate. APR 14, 2013
VILLAGE PARKS CALENDAR SHOWCASES MYRIAD ACTIVITIES
So many activities to chose from during April/May 2013. Yoga, Boot Camp, Tai‐Chi, Zumba, Tennis, Flag Football... Whether you're young or young at heart, we're at your service in "The Village of Parks." MAR 1, 2013
BIKE305 Initiative ... The Village of Palmetto bay is one of numerous municipalities partnering with Miami-Dade County's Bike305 Initiative -- a fun, healthy way to explore, experience, and connect with our neighboring communities. Read more. MAR 15, 2013
Tai Chi in the Park ... Every Saturday & Sunday at 8am, a group meets at Coral Reef Park to talk about the health benefits of tai chi. Call resident Joe Casaday re: this non-Village sanctioned activity (no fee required) at 305/253-5172. See Facebook for photos of a recent demonstration. APR 4, 2013
Celebration Picnic 2013 ... It was great to see you at the 2013 Celebration Picnic, March 2. The Village's signature annual event offered all the traditional activities, games, and picnic fare -- but some new surprises as well. Read more. And see if you spot yourself in these Facebook photos. MARCH 2, 2013
Health & Wellness 2013 ... Enjoy our event coverage and photos from the 2013 Health & Wellness Fair, Feb.10 at Ludovici Park. FEB 10, 2013
Doggie Casting Call ... Palmetto Bay's award-winning Dog Park was the location of a doggie casting call, Jan 27, during which more than 50 pooches were captured on video parading (and doing other things that start with the letter "p," like playing, of course...) at Perrine Wayside Park -- all part of a casting call event for an upcoming Village video on park amenities.See photos on Facebook. JAN 27, 2013
Coral Reef Park Video ... Palmetto Bay's Village parks video series launched last fall with a destination piece on Coral Reef Park. Narrated by Summer Camp Counselor Neal Simmons, the Ludovici Park feature is set for a January release. See photos recently shot during production. JAN 4, 2013
Thalatta Estate Website ... We know you "love" Thalatta Estate Park. Now you may "Like" it. A new Facebook page has been created for our beautiful wedding and events venue. Obtain open park times, wedding announcements, and updated photos of the park. NOV 14, 2012
Meditation Garden ... Palmetto Bay's s biggest secret is a little spot nestled along the canalway in Coral Reef Park: The Ken Robinson Meditation Garden, the perfect venue to host a small wedding or reception -- or simply to meditate. Contact us via e-mail or call 305-234-6383. JAN 4, 2013
Holiday by the Bay 2012 ... The Village hosted its 3rd Annual Holiday by the Bay, Dec. 22 -- a Christmas wonderland at Ludovici Park. Residents enjoyed student performances, carnival foods, arts & crafts, and Santa Claus.See photos. DEC. 22, 2012
Innovative Playground ... Coral Reef Park features three distinct playground areas for kids: a renewed 5-to-12 age-group play space, a 2-5 age-group area, and 6-23 month toddler area -- a first for South Florida -- that has this family friendly community doing back flips! Read more and visit our Facebook photo gallery for a tour. JUL 28, 2012
Award-Winning Dog Park ... Visit Palmetto Bay's only park where dogs can let their hair down and run free: Perrine Wayside Dog Park. Named "Best Dog Park" by Miami NewTimes in 2010, this contained and conveniently located park is closed the 2nd and 4th Tuesday each month (til noon) for maintenance. Find us on Facebook, too.
Community Room for Free ... Nonprofits, charitable organizations, and community groups may host meetings in the Edward & Arlene Feller Community Room (EAF) -- for free. Read this ordinance. For info, availability, or an application, contact us in writing or call 305-259-1234. JUN 14, 2012
Be a "Friend of Thalatta" ... The Village invites you to be a "Friend of Thalatta" by serving on a new public committee, the Thalatta Estate Advisory Board. Please read more about membership qualifications and duties -- and to down an application. For information, call 305-259-1234. JUN 6, 2012
Department News Archive
Please click on the park name to explore each facility.
- Coral Reef Park (51.3 acres)
- Palmetto Bay Park (19.6 acres)
- Perrine Wayside (Dog) Park
- Thalatta Park
- Ludovici Park (Miami-Dade Public Library / Arlene & Edward Feller Community Room & Amphitheater)
The Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for the planning, organizing, supervising, directing and administering of all activities related to parks and recreation, special events and community outreach programs. To that extent, the Department directs and coordinates the installation and maintenance of park facilities including park structures and landscaped areas in the parks, prepares bid specifications and project cost estimates for park maintenance outsource contracts, and administers all aspects of said contracts.
The Parks and Recreation Department manages the Village of Palmetto Bay system of local and regional parks which create a compilation of beautiful park facilities. Ranging from serene to active, educational to recreational, and relaxing to exercising, the parks offer a myriad of rewarding activities for all to enjoy.
The Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for the planning, organizing, supervising, directing and administering of all activities related to parks and recreation, special events and community outreach programs.
The specific goals of the Department are to:
- Enhance parks safety and security during special events, home games, tournaments and before and after hours.
- Seek professional development for Director in all aspects of municipal government and continue to grow all parks and recreation personnel.
- Enhance recruitment of professional parks and recreation staff.
- Continue to seek sponsorships and donations for programming, special events and enhancement of parks.
- Expand in house recreational programming.
- Explore best practices to efficiently and fiscally operate and manage multiple concessions.
- Continue to enhance parks grounds & turf using professional in house staff, developing specific maintenance programs.
- Continue to support Village “Green Initiatives” through commitment to environmental education and conservation.
- Continue to promote and require attendance of management personnel to attend state and national conferences to keep up with certifications and industry initiatives.
- Continue to encourage the cooperation between the village and neighborhood schools.
- Continue to seek innovative and creative ways to improve on operations & expenditures, and look for ways to increase revenue.
- Continue to work with Public Works, PIO, and Police to enhance, promote and protect our park facilities.
- Promote and enhance communications emphasizing the importance of prioritizing and time management.
- Continue to work with contractors/vendors to enhance and repair park facilities.
Village Department of Parks & Recreation (305) 259-1234
Fanny Carmona-Gonzalez, Director
Josie Bober, Administrative Assistant
Kirk Hearin, Parks & Recreation Manager
Valentin Garcia, Grounds/Facility Maintenance Supervisor
Wayne Silvestro, Park Supervisor, Coral Reef Park
Mary S. Fernandez, Special Events Supervisor
For party rental information, please visit the Facility Rentals
For Park Programming Contact Information, click here.
Back to Top