Parks & Recreation Department is responsible for planning, organizing, supervising, directing, and administering all activities related to our parks system and recreation programming, special events, and community outreach programs.
BACK-TO-SCHOOL CARNIVAL AT PALMETTO BAY PARK
Residents enjoyed our Back-to-School Carnival Aug. 9 at Palmetto Bay Park, that offered free backpacks and school supplies, as well as fun food for purchase, unlimited rides, and games. AUG. 09, 2014
RESPONSIBLE GARDENING WORKSHOPS AT THALATTA ESTATE
Sign up now for "Raised Bed Gardening," one in a series of Responsible Gardening Workshops offered at Thalatta Estate. The Sept. 12 session is presented by Village resident and Master Gardener Terri Stephen in partnership with UF/Miami-Dade County Extension. See photos. Call 305-259-1234. SEP 12, 2014
"GET A KID FISHING" OFFERED EDUCATION AND FAMILY FUN
Families and kids of all ages enjoyed this free, fun-filled and hands-on marine experience at Thalatta Estate, July 13. Boating & water safety, use equipment, and how to be good stewards of the environment were on the syllabus. See photos. JUL 13, 2014
THOUSANDS EXPERIENCE JULY 4TH IN DOWNTOWN PALMETTO BAY
Thousands of Village residents, friends, and neighbors experienced Independence Day in Downtown Palmetto Bay with food trucks, live music, contests, a beer-garden, and a giant fireworks display. The free event took place in the Downtown area surrounding Village Hall. See photos -- and juicy videos of the hot-dog eating contest. JUL 4, 2014
Back to Home
Eco-Tour via Kayak ... The monthly Mangrove Kayak Adventure program at Thalatta Estate has been expanded. Contact Parks & Rec now for availability thru Nov. 2014, or call 305-259-1234. Upon confirmation of reservations, please complete this registration. Also see photos. MAY 20, 2014
BIKE305 Initiative ... The Village of Palmetto bay is one of numerous municipalities partnering with Miami-Dade County's Bike305 Initiative -- a fun, healthy way to explore, experience, and connect with our neighboring communities. Read more. MAR 15, 2013
Coral Reef Park Video ... Palmetto Bay's Village parks video series launched last fall with a destination piece on Coral Reef Park. Narrated by Summer Camp Counselor Neal Simmons, the Ludovici Park feature is set for a January release. See photos recently shot during production. JAN 4, 2013
Thalatta Estate Website ... We know you "love" Thalatta Estate Park. Now you may "Like" it. A new Facebook page has been created for our beautiful natutal park and event venue. NOV 14, 2012
Meditation Garden ... Palmetto Bay's s biggest secret is a little spot nestled along the canalway in Coral Reef Park: The Ken Robinson Meditation Garden, the perfect venue to host a small wedding or reception -- or simply to meditate. Contact us via e-mail or call 305-234-6383. JAN 4, 2013
Community Room for Free ... Nonprofits, charitable organizations, and community groups may host meetings in the Edward & Arlene Feller Community Room (EAF) -- for free. Read this ordinance. For info, availability, or an application, contact us in writing or call 305-259-1234. JUN 14, 2012
Department News Archive
Back to Top
Please click on the park name to explore each facility.
- Coral Reef Park (51.3 acres)
- Palmetto Bay Park (19.6 acres)
- Perrine Wayside (Dog) Park
- Thalatta Park
- Ludovici Park (Miami-Dade Public Library / Arlene & Edward Feller Community Room & Amphitheater)
The Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for the planning, organizing, supervising, directing and administering of all activities related to parks and recreation, special events and community outreach programs. To that extent, the Department directs and coordinates the installation and maintenance of park facilities including park structures and landscaped areas in the parks, prepares bid specifications and project cost estimates for park maintenance outsource contracts, and administers all aspects of said contracts.
The Parks and Recreation Department manages the Village of Palmetto Bay system of local and regional parks which create a compilation of beautiful park facilities. Ranging from serene to active, educational to recreational, and relaxing to exercising, the parks offer a myriad of rewarding activities for all to enjoy.
The Parks and Recreation Department is responsible for the planning, organizing, supervising, directing and administering of all activities related to parks and recreation, special events and community outreach programs.
The specific goals of the Department are to:
- Enhance parks safety and security during special events, home games, tournaments and before and after hours.
- Seek professional development for Director in all aspects of municipal government and continue to grow all parks and recreation personnel.
- Enhance recruitment of professional parks and recreation staff.
- Continue to seek sponsorships and donations for programming, special events and enhancement of parks.
- Expand in house recreational programming.
- Explore best practices to efficiently and fiscally operate and manage multiple concessions.
- Continue to enhance parks grounds & turf using professional in house staff, developing specific maintenance programs.
- Continue to support Village “Green Initiatives” through commitment to environmental education and conservation.
- Continue to promote and require attendance of management personnel to attend state and national conferences to keep up with certifications and industry initiatives.
- Continue to encourage the cooperation between the village and neighborhood schools.
- Continue to seek innovative and creative ways to improve on operations & expenditures, and look for ways to increase revenue.
- Continue to work with Public Works, PIO, and Police to enhance, promote and protect our park facilities.
- Promote and enhance communications emphasizing the importance of prioritizing and time management.
- Continue to work with contractors/vendors to enhance and repair park facilities.
Village Department of Parks & Recreation (305) 259-1234
Fanny Carmona-Gonzalez, Director
Josie Bober, Administrative Assistant
Kirk Hearin, Parks & Recreation Manager
Valentin Garcia, Grounds/Facility Maintenance Supervisor
Park Supervisor-Coral Reef Park
Luis “Marty” Tejeda, Park Supervisor-Palmetto Bay Park
For party rental information, please visit the Facility Rentals
For Park Programming Contact Information, click here.
Back to Top