Earth Day 2021
Palmetto Bay Celebrates Earth Day in a BIG WAY!
Join us in celebrating “Planet Earth” not just for ONE day but, for a series of days with events and activities throughout the month of April. There is something for everyone, while enjoying nature and the outdoors in a fun and safe manner.
We kicked off the Earth Day series with the Earth Day Art Contest 2021. Southwood Middle School, Faith Quammie was selected as the 1st Place Winner. Check out this page to learn more.
April is Earth Month in Palmetto Bay
Schedule of Events:
- April 10th to 24th - Keep Palmetto Bay Beautiful Community Clean-up
- April 16th - Family Drive-in Movie Night - Check out our event photos!
- April 23rd - Earth Day by the Bay Documentary Film Screening, "Everglades Rising" & Art Exhibit - Watch the event or see our photos.
- April 24th - Shade Palmetto Bay Tree Giveaway Drive Thru - Thank you Palmetto Bay. Check out these photos.
- April 30th - National Arbor Day Tree Planting Ceremony
Please scroll down the page to learn more about these Earth Day activities and to sign-up for our amazing Earth Day programs and events!
Keep Palmetto Bay Beautiful-Earth Day Community Clean-Up
- Thursday, April 8-Saturday, April 24, 2021
Various Locations throughout the Village of Palmetto Bay
Let’s do our part in keeping Palmetto Bay clean and beautiful! Earn community service hours in this 2-week, self-paced Community Clean-Up from April 8-April 24th. Let’s keep our parks, businesses, and neighborhoods beautiful in Palmetto Bay!
- CLICK HERE to register for the Clean-Up.
- CLICK HERE to report your collections and photos. *Required to receive community service hours - deadline to submit your clean-up results form is Friday, April 30th.
Click below to watch our informational video and learn more about the project.
Earth Day by the Bay- Documentary Film Screening & Art Exhibit
- Friday, April 23, 2021, 6:30 - 9:30 pm
- Thalatta Estate Park, 17301 Old Cutler Rd.
Join us for an Earth Day celebration at Thalatta Estate Park for an evening by the bay and under the stars, as the natural history filmmaker Richard Kern Jr. takes us on unique experience learning about the subtropical habitats of the Everglades. Along the way you'll learn about the hydrology and the watershed, as well as some of the fantastic inhabitants of “America’s wetland.” At the end of the film, participants will have the opportunity to have a Q &A session with the filmmaker.
The Mayor's Environmentalist of the Year and the Earth Day Art Contest Winner will also be publicly recognized during this event.
- If you missed the event you can watch it now
- See the event photos
This is an outdoor event on the Thalatta Estate Park lawn. Please bring your own chairs, blankets, coolers with food, snacks, and beverages as there WILL BE NO food vendors onsite. FREE valet parking will be available at the park.
About the Art Exhibit
Richard C. Kern, Richard Kern Jr.'s father and an award-winning natural history filmmaker, will also be showcasing some of his most treasured oil paintings of wildlife and landscapes throughout his career in the filmmaking industry. The exhibit will be located inside Thalatta Estate Park's Main House. Some of his oil paintings will be available for purchase.
A special thanks to our event sponsors/partners: The Alliance for Florida's National Parks, Encounters in Excellence, Inc., and the Deering Estate.
Shade Palmetto Bay Tree Giveaway Drive-Thru
- Saturday, April 24, 2021, 9 - 11 am
- Ludovici Park, 17641 Old Cutler Rd.
Native trees will be distributed to Village residents on a first-come, first-served basis while supplies last. There is a limit of one (1) tree per household and proof of residency in the Village will be required.
Registration by April 21, 2021 is REQUIRED
- THANK YOU TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED; here are the event photos.
National Arbor Day Tree Planting Ceremony
- Friday, April 30, 2021, 3:30 pm
- Palmetto Bay Park, 17535 SW 95 Avenue, Palmetto Bay
Palmetto Bay will also celebrate National Arbor Day on Friday, April 30th with a Tree Planting Ceremony at Palmetto Bay Park. During the event, we will also be recognizing special community members.
Resolution No. 2021-09 sponsored by Councilman Patrick Fiore proclaims the third Friday of each April beginning in 2021 as "National Arbor Day" in Palmetto Bay.
Palmetto Bay had previously proclaimed Arbor Day the third Friday of each January. Unlike National Arbor Day, arbor dates across the US vary by state. In contrast, National Arbor Day is celebrated on the same day nationwide.
National Arbor Day is intended to encourage residents to plant native tree species throughout the year but especially on National Arbor Day.