Bathroom Fall Prevention Grant Program
About the Program
The Village of Palmetto Bay is launching the Bathroom Fall Prevention Grant Program in an effort to assist adult seniors in our community with the purchase and installation of grab bars for their home bathrooms. It is a safety program developed under the leadership of Councilmember Marsha Matson after she had grab bars installed in her home bathroom and realized how much safer they made her feel from falling.
Miami-Dade County offers similar services to individuals with disabilities, but the Councilmember and Village staff worked together to develop the pilot program to bring this service closer to our residents and to our eligible seniors.
The Village of Palmetto Bay’s Bathroom Fall Prevention Grant Pilot Program is available to assist seniors with bathroom safety. The reimbursement safety grant is designed to help seniors defray the costs for grab bars that eliminate, reduce or control their danger of falling. Grant funds must be used (1) for the purchase of bathroom grab bars, and (2) for installation by a county or state licensed contractor.
Funds from the Bathroom Fall Prevention Grant Program are paid to the recipient on a reimbursement basis. The recipient must show proof of the cost of purchase and/or installation in the form of a store receipt and/or paid contractor invoice. The funds will then be paid directly to the recipient. The Village will not issue payment directly to contractors.
For example, if a senior spends $300 on the purchase and installation of safety grab bars, he/she will be reimbursed $300. The Village will require an after photo with an invoice as proof of installation for reimbursement. A maximum amount of $500 will be reimbursed to 20 eligible seniors who will be randomly selected from applications received by the deadline.
This is a safety grant program for adult seniors. As such, items submitted for reimbursement should reduce, control or eliminate potential for falls, slips or injuries while in the bathroom.
Grant Eligibility Criteria
To qualify for the grant, recipients must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a senior 65 years of age or older, who has difficulty performing at least one activity of daily living
- Must have resided in Palmetto Bay for at least (1) one year
- Must live in a single-family home that is covered by an active homeowners insurance policy
Grant Submission Requirements
To submit your grant, all you need is the following:
- Complete the online grant application (click link to apply)
In order to receive reimbursements under the grant program once your grant application has been approved, the following must be provided to the Village no later than December 30, 2021 at 5pm.
- An original receipt for the purchase of the bars; and/or
- An original paid invoice from the contractor installing the bars
- An "after photo" of the bathroom showing the grab bars
Once the documentation is received by the Village, the grant awardee will be reimbursed for the cost to purchase and install the grab bars up to a maximum of $500.
Special Conditions/ Disclaimers
- The Village of Palmetto Bay will not provide or install the grab bar.
- The Village of Palmetto Bay is not recommending any seller or installer of grab bars.
- Any defects or problems with the grab bar or installation must be directed to the seller, manufacturer or installer.
- The Village is not providing any express warranty, or any implied merchantability or a warranty of fitness for a particular purpose of the product and there is no guarantee regarding the work and installation of the product.
- By applying for and/or accepting the program funds the recipient of the Palmetto Bay Bathroom Fall Prevention Safety Program shall indemnify and hold harmless the Village and its officers, employees, agents and instrumentalities from any and all liability, losses or damages.
June 16, 2021 Program Guidelines are made available
July 16, 2021 Application period opens and grant application is available online and at Village Hall
August 16, 2021 Applications [and before photo] are DUE by the 5 pm deadline
August 23, 2021 Grant awardees are notified
December 30,2021 Reimbursement requests are DUE by the 5pm deadline
If you have any questions or need further clarification or assistance with completing your application, please do not hesitate to contact the Village at (305) 259-1234.