Earth Day 2022
April is "Earth Month" in Palmetto Bay and We Celebrate in a BIG Way!
Join us in celebrating “Planet Earth” not just for ONE day but, for a series of days with events and activities throughout the month of April. There is something for everyone, while enjoying nature and the outdoors in a fun and safe manner.
We kicked off the Earth Day series with the Earth Day Art Contest 2022. Online submissions from students attending a middle school in Palmetto Bay were accepted through February 25, 2022 and the 2022 Earth Day Art Contest Winner is Jahlil Heath. Click here to see Jahlil's winning artwork. The winning school and student will be honored with a ceremonial tree planting on school grounds. The winner will receive a prize and a Certificate of Appreciation will be presented to the student and art teacher.
Schedule of Events:
Please scroll down this page for more event information and details.
- April 7th- Active Adults Trips & Tours- Field Trip at Homestead Hospital Garden
- April 16th- Eco Fest at Coral Reef Park
- April 21st - Richard S. Kern Documentary, "Currents from Cuba" - CANCELLED
April 22ndApril 29th- Earth Day Movie Night, featuring Disney's Encanto, at Coral Reef Park -
- April 23rd- Shade Palmetto Bay Tree Giveaway Drive-thru at Ludovici Park- ONLINE registration is open to Palmetto Bay residents ONLY
- April 29th- Palmetto Bay Celebrates National Arbor Day at Coral Reef Park
- April 30th- Palmetto Bay's 1st Annual Recycling Drive-Thru - (Palmetto Bay residents ONLY)
Events Information & Details:
ACTIVE ADULTS TRIPS AND TOURS - GROW YOUR OWN LUNCH
THURSDAY, APRIL 7, 2022
10:30 AM - 2:30 PM
$10 PER PERSON (includes transportation and garden salad)
ADULTS 55 AND OVER
- Introduction to the Grow2Heal project
- Exploration of the farm and discussions about the uses and benefits of the farm crops
- Lessons on environmental conservation
- Participation in actual farm activities (propagation, seeding, soil preparation)
- Hands on lessons for the harvesting and preparation of a delicious, fresh, non-processed lunch to be eaten onsite. **Participants may bring their own lunch
ONLY 18 SPOTS OPEN (minimum of 12 participants required for field trip to occur)
7895 SW 152nd Street
SATURDAY, APRIL 16, 2022
9 AM - 2 PM
ECO FEST ACTIVITIES:
1. Walk on the Howard Drive Path: 9 am
2. Qi-Gong Tai Chi Breathing Exercises: 8-10 am
3. Scott Miller's Farmers Market: 9 am - 3:30 pm
4. Photogenic Nature Workshop: 10 - 10:45 am - Register and sign waiver onsite during event
5. Canal Clean-Up Aboard Vessels: 11 am - 12:30 pm - Limited availability. First-come, first-serve.
6. Animal Encounter: 10 am - 1 pm
7. Resource Booths: 10am - 2 pm
8. Arts & Crafts: 10 am - 2 pm
*Additional parking available at Holy Rosary St. Richard Catholic Church, 7500 SW 152nd Street
View or download the event schedule by clicking HERE.
RICHARD S. KERN DOCUMENTARY
CURRENTS FROM CUBA
THURSDAY, APRIL 21, 2022
Perrine Community House
900 East Perrine Avenue, Palmetto Bay, FL 33157
$15 PER PERSON - PURCHASE TICKETS ONLINE BEFORE APRIL 18TH
Join us for an Earth Day celebration at Perrine Community House as the natural history filmmaker Richard S. Kern narrates live his documentary film "Currents from Cuba". At the end of the film, participants will have the opportunity to have a Q &A session with the filmmaker.
Village Residents ONLY
Limit (1) tree (3 gallons) per household