Building Permit Process
About Building PermitsA building permit is your legal permission to start construction of a building project in accordance with approved drawings and specifications. According to the Florida Building Code, all projects require a permit regardless of the cost or size.
Remember, with a building permit and its required inspections, you minimize the potential hazards of unsafe construction ensuring public health, safety, and welfare for not only yourself but also for the community in which we live. Please contact us if you have any questions on how to obtain a building permit.
To obtain a permit, a homeowner or their selected contractor should first contact the Building and Permitting Division or visit Village Hall to discuss the requirements of their particular permit as it relates to their project.
A Building Permit Application and other applicable documentation is required to begin the permitting process. A Building Permit Application may be downloaded online or may be obtained from the Building & Permitting Division, located on the 1st floor of Village Hall.
The following items are required to obtain a building permit.
- Village of Palmetto Bay Building Permit Application (download or pick up from the Building & Permitting Division)
- Drawings by a registered architect or engineer showing dimensions and drawn to scale
- Legal description of the property
- Survey (less than 1 year old)
- Owner/builder declaration
- Energy calculations
- Landscape plan
- Structural calculations
- Addendum to Building Permit Application (plumbing, electrical, mechanical)
- Addendum to Fence Permit Application (PDF)
- Building Permit Application Form (PDF)
- Covenant of Construction within Right of Way (PDF)
- Minor Repair Form (PDF)
- Roofing Submittal Package (PDF)
- Safe Sight Distance Form (PDF)
- Shutter Permit Supplement (PDF)
- Special Inspector Form (PDF)
- Sunshine Ticket Number Form (PDF)
- Utility Easement Form (PDF)