About Building Permits
A building permit is your legal permission to start construction of a building project in accordance with approved drawings and specifications. According to Section 105.1 of the Florida Building Code, an owner or owner’s authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any impact-resistant coverings, electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the Florida Building Code, or to cause any such work to be performed, must first obtain the required building permit.
Remember, with a building permit and its required inspections, you minimize the potential hazards of unsafe construction ensuring public health, safety, and welfare for not only yourself but also for the community in which we live.
To learn whether a permit is required for your particular construction or improvement project, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Building & Permitting Division at 305-259-1250.
Getting A Building Permit
To obtain a permit, a homeowner or their selected contractor should first contact the Building and Permitting Division by sending an email to email@example.com or calling our direct line at 305-259-1250. Homeowners and contractors may also visit Village Hall to discuss the requirements of their particular permit as it relates to their project.
A Building Permit Application and other applicable documentation is required to begin the permitting process. Our fillable Building Permit Application can be completed online for your convenience. Once completed, the permit application, along with other required plans and/or documents may be uploaded electronically to our system. You may also register online to check the status of your permit. Click here to see how you can register and pay online.
TRACK THE STATUS OF YOUR PERMIT
Create your user account to check the status of your building permit.
The following items are required to obtain a building permit.
- Village of Palmetto Bay Building Permit Application (complete online)
- Drawings by a registered architect or engineer showing dimensions and drawn to scale
- Legal description of the property
- Survey (less than 1 year old)
- Owner/builder declaration
Additionally, certain types of projects also require the following;
- Energy calculations
- Landscape plan
- Structural calculations
Contact our division if you have any questions.
Read This if Digging
If your work requires any digging, you must show your Sunshine locations ticket # ready as proof that you have requested the location of underground utilities. More information available at this site http://www.sunshine811.com/homeowner or by calling 8-1-1
Notice of Commencement Required
A Notice of Commencement is required for projects with a job value of over $2,500 by Florida Law. Please visit our Lien and Notice of Commencement page for more information.
Review and Approval Process
Permit review and approval take up to 15 working days for commercial projects and 10 working days for residential ones.
- Once all required submittals have been received, the Village first assigns a processing number to the plans.
- Certified inspectors then review the plans for compliance with the Florida Building Code, and applicable Zoning Codes.
- Plans requiring outside agency reviews as a condition for final approval are routed accordingly for outside agency review (ex. county fire department.) Please talk to one of our permit clerks if you need to know whether your plans are subject to other agency review.
- If the plans require additional information and or clarifications, once the architect/engineer of record has addressed these issues and has hi-lighted the corrections then the plans must be resubmitted again for a second review.
- Once the review process and all outside agencies have signed off as approved, the building division determines the final building permit fee in accordance with the Permit Fee Schedule.
- The Contact Person designated on the Building Permit Application is contacted and the building permit is issued.
The Building Permit is your approval stating that the contemplated construction as shown on the drawings meets all current codes.
Building & Permitting Division
Phone: 305-259-1250Fax: 866-927-5576
Monday - Friday*
7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Except on observed holidays
*Closed for lunch between 12 and 1 pm