About Mayor Cunningham
Mayor Cunningham served as Village of Palmetto Bay Councilwoman for Seat 1 from 2014-2018. During that time, she spearheaded many initiatives focused on residents and quality of life in Palmetto Bay. Some of those initiatives included:
- Passive Park Initiative- allowing the Village to take steps in acquiring parcels of land for the expansion of parks within the Village. The acquisition of these properties will enable us to increase our tree canopy which not only enhances the beautification of our community but increases home values as well.
- IBus Park & Ride- which established the first of its kind pilot program using the Village’s IBus to transport commuters to the county’s Metrorail System on the busway as part of reducing vehicular traffic and reduce our carbon footprint by removing as many automobiles as possible from our roadways - positively impacting current traffic conditions.
- Safe Schools Initiative- which directs our Village police officers to make their presence known at our public and private schools by completing their official reports on school property to have a higher profile for our students, teachers, and their families.
- After Hours with Karyn- which allows residents to meet with me for coffee and discuss their ideas, issues, and vision for the Village.
- Mayor is In- Offering open office hours to provide residents the opportunity to meet with her- no appointment necessary!
- Saturday in the Park- a monthly opportunity giving residents the opportunity to meet with to discuss their ideas about how to improve our cherished parks and green spaces.
- Annual Kids Town Hall- giving our youngest residents the opportunity to have their voices be a part of governing. Through the Kids Town Halls changes were made to park amenities at Coral Reef Park and Palmetto Bay Park.
- Annual Principals' Breakfast- A strong advocate for schools, Mayor Cunningham has partnered with the Village to host an annual breakfast uniting public and private schools in the community to provide education networking opportunities and sharing of best practices among PTA/PTSAs, local administrators and businesses.
- Local Business Initiatives- Palmetto Bay is home to many local mom and pop businesses. To recognize those local businesses, the Village has worked in partnership with our Economic Development Council, our Palmetto Bay Business Association and Chamber South, to develop real strategies for our businesses, especially our “Mom and Pops” to rebound and thrive.
- Annual Pine Rockland Cleanup- Working with student groups and other organizations, Mayor Cunningham has hosted annual clean ups of our environmentally fragile areas to raise awareness of the importance of these sensitive environments in our community.
featured in the 24th Edition of the Book of Leaders (2021) , published by Miami Today, highlighting Miami's top 52 South Floridian achievers who "are shaping the development of Greater Miami”,
Contact Mayor Cunningham directly on her cell phone at 305-799-0695 or via email.