Golf Cart Registration
Thinking About Buying a Golf Cart?
Living in Palmetto Bay has many benefits: beautiful parks, tree-lined streets, and wonderful schools. Another plus is our weather, which is perfect for traveling via golf cart. If you live in Palmetto Bay, you can register your street legal golf cart and enjoy this fun alternative to travel, offering a low-cost, fuel-efficient way to run errands, take the kids to school, travel to a block party or Village event, or simply enjoy a leisurely drive around the neighborhood.
Golf cart operations are regulated by local and state laws. Read the safety information below and visit the links provided for more information. The Village of Palmetto Bay is presently reviewing its current ordinance related to the operation of golf carts in the Village to ensure consistency with the latest state and county ordinances. Here’s a link to Palmetto Bay’s existing ordinance for your reference.
Golf Cart Regulations
By law, registration of your golf cart is required with, the Village of Palmetto Bay and the State of Florida. Here are some key points of the regulations related to the operation of golf carts in the Village:
- Current local and state laws allow for golf carts to be driven on interior roads of the Village and on county roads where the speed limit is 30 MPH or less, if the golf cart is registered with the State.
- If the golf cart has been modified to travel at more than 20 MPH, but not greater than 25 MPH, it must meet certain specifications and be registered with the State as a low speed vehicle (LSV). This registration requires the LSV owner to obtain PIP and Liability Insurance and it is separate from the Village of Palmetto Bay’s golf cart registration (see below.)
- Golf carts cannot be operated on Old Cutler Road, US 1, SW 136 Street, SW 152nd Street, SW 168th Street, SW 184th Street, SW 67th Avenue, SW 77th Avenue, SW 87th Avenue, and SW 97th Avenue; or any road with a speed limit of 45 MPH.
- State law prohibits the operation of golf carts on sidewalks that are less than 8 feet wide, which includes all sidewalks in Palmetto Bay.
Click on the links below for more information concerning the golf cart laws mentioned above:
Registering Your Golf Cart with the Village of Palmetto Bay During the COVID-19 Pandemic
TEMPORARY REGISTRATION PROCESS WHILE VILLAGE HALL IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC
Village Hall is presently closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic. To presently register your golf cart with the Village of Palmetto Bay, please follow the process below:
- Read the current Village Ordinance