Earth Day Art Contest 2018
Calling all Middle School (6-8 Grades) Students!
The Village of Palmetto Bay invites middle school students to be a part of the 2018 Earth Day Art Contest! The winning artwork will be selected for the front cover of the Village of Parks Play-by-Play Recreation Guide Spring/Summer Edition mailed to over 10,000 residents. We encourage students to design an original design depicting this year’s theme:
Earth Day’s Global 2018 Theme
Plastics litter our cities and oceans, and growing evidence shows how they contribute to health problems in humans and animals. By 2050, there will be more plastic than fish in the world’s oceans! Plastic coagulates into great floating “garbage patches” that cover large areas of the Pacific. Plastics wash up on beaches and can be found in the stomachs of more than half the world’s sea turtles and nearly all of its marine birds. If plastic pollution was bagged up and arranged across all of the world’s shorelines, we could build a plastic wall around every shoreline and the sea. This is a problem we can help solve by cleaning up plastic trash, drastically reducing the amount of plastic used and recycling 100% of the rest.
»»» Artwork Submittal Deadline: Friday, February 23rd «««
»»» Enter Your Artwork Online «««
- Entry must be original artwork created by a student who is currently enrolled in middle school (6-8 grades).
- Student must register for the contest online and electronically submit their artwork by the DEADLINE: Friday, February 23rd.
- Original Artwork may be done in marker, crayon, paint pens, watercolor, ink, acrylic, colored pencil, and/or tempera paint or graphically designed. Collages are also acceptable.
- Artwork should NOT display names of commercial products, companies or organizations. Artwork should also NOT display your name or school name.
- Artwork must be designed using the following dimension: 8.75” wide x 7.25” height. View sample cover by visiting the Village of Palmetto Bay website at www.palmettobay-fl.gov under the Parks & Recreation Department page/Community Events tab.
- Artwork must be related to the contest theme. The theme should be exemplified on the artwork.
- Artwork entry will be done at time of your online registration . Artwork will need to be scanned/or photographed for electronic submittal (uploaded on the registration form) as a JPEG or PDF file with a resolution of 300 DPI.
- You may visit the Earth Day Network website for more information and ideas on this year’s theme. Visit http://www.earthday.org/earth-day/earth-day-theme/
- Students who do not follow the above specifications for the artwork submittal will be disqualified.
- All entries become the sole property of the Village of Palmetto Bay.
- All entries will then be judged by members of the Tree Board.
The contest winner will be announced the week of March 12th and results will be posted on the Village of Palmetto Bay’s website and social media.
The winning school and student will be honored with a ceremonial tree planting on school grounds on Friday, April 20th (time to be mutually agreed upon) and the winner will receive a prize (TBD), ice cream party, and Certificate of Appreciation for the Student and Art Teacher. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 305-259-1234.