Earth Day Art Contest 2019
1st Place - Amelia Ovalle
7th grader at Southwood Middle School
Calling all Middle School (6-8 Grade) Students!
The Village of Palmetto Bay invites middle school students to be a part of the 2019 Earth Day Art Contest! The winning artwork will be selected for the front cover of the Village of Parks Play-by-Play Recreation Guide Spring/Summer Edition mailed to over 10,000 residents. We encourage students to design an original design depicting this year’s theme:
“Protect Our Species”
Earth Day’s Global 2019 Theme
Many of us have seen images of enormous flocks of birds congregating in marshes, herds of wildebeest, zebra, and Thomson's gazelle migrating through Africa, along with our most iconic species - tigers, elephants, giraffes, and rhinos. All of these species are imperiled. But it's not just endangered species we should care about - land animals, sea creatures, and plants around the world have seen their numbers severely reduced. All of our plants and animals have value in themselves and are part of the web of life. Our lives and theirs are linked together inextricably - without them, our own species might not survive. We're all connected: We need to collectively support natural ecosystems, so they can continue to sustain life on earth. We need a process of development that protects natural ecosystems, so they can continue to provide the environmental services needed to sustain life on earth.
»»» Artwork Submittal Deadline: Friday, February 22, 2019 «««
»»» Enter Your Artwork Online «««
- Entry must be original artwork created by a student who is currently enrolled in middle school (6-8 grade).
- Student must register for the contest online and electronically submit their artwork by the DEADLINE: Friday, February 22nd.
- Original Artwork may be done in marker, crayon, paint pens, watercolor, ink, acrylic, colored pencil, and/or tempera paint or graphically designed. Collages are also acceptable.
- Artwork should NOT display names of commercial products, companies or organizations. Artwork should also NOT display your name or school name.
- Artwork must be designed using the following dimension: 8.75” wide x 7.25” height. View sample cover by visiting the Village of Palmetto Bay website at www.palmettobay-fl.gov under the Parks & Recreation Department page/Community Events tab.
- Artwork must be related to the contest theme. The theme should be exemplified on the artwork.
- Artwork entry will be done at time of your online registration . Artwork will need to be scanned/or photographed for electronic submittal (uploaded on the registration form) as a JPEG or PDF file with a resolution of 300 DPI.
- You may visit the Earth Day Network website for more information and ideas on this year’s theme. Visit https://www.earthday.org/campaigns/endangered-species/earthday2019/
- Students who do not follow the above specifications or submit artwork that is not original will be disqualified.
- All entries become the sole property of the Village of Palmetto Bay.
- All entries will then be judged by members of the Tree Board.
The contest winner will be announced the week of March 11th and results will be posted on the Village of Palmetto Bay’s website and social media.
The winning school and student will be honored with a ceremonial tree planting on school grounds on Friday, April 19th (time to be mutually agreed upon) and the winner will receive a prize (TBD), ice cream party, and Certificate of Appreciation for the Student and Art Teacher. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 305-259-1234.