Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Dear Friends and Neighbors:
What a difference a year makes! 2019 was a year of transition and change in our Village, and thanks to the collective talent of our residents, staff and Council that came together to create an outstanding community, it was an amazing year filled with new opportunities. As we count down to ushering in 2020, I am reflecting on some of the highlights we have accomplished together as a community this year, my first as your Mayor:
• Rolled out an app for our IBUS commuter system
• Lowered our millage rate to an all-time low of 2.20 from last year's 2.2387 boasting the 4th lowest millage rate among 35 municipalities in the county
• Installed wi-fi access points inside and outside Village Hall and in our parks. Now, you can easily use your mobile devices while enjoying village public spaces.
• Completed basin 61 stormwater drainage system
• Completed the construction of 2 localized stormwater projects (and they’re working on 3 others)
• Remodeled the beautiful Perrine Community House
• Partnered with ArtSouth to bring monthly local artist art exhibits to the Village
• Expanded our Senior and Youth Programming
• Repair and repainted all the County bus benches in our community
• Expanded our Mom and Pop businesses community with seventy-five new businesses opened their doors in Palmetto Bay
• Welcomed our new in-house attorney John Dellagloria and Interim Manager Greg Truitt to the Village family
• Processed over 500 passport applications, generating 22 thousand dollars in revenue for the Village
• Procured grants totaling over 240,000 dollars and we’ve applied for over a million dollars in new opportunities for 2020.
• Obtained “The Woods” across from Perrine Elementary to be converted into a passive park
• Made substantial improvements to Perrine-Wayside park, installing a new gazebo and small dog area
• Repaired and upgraded the walking paths and foot bridge at Coral Reef Park
• Put the finishing touches on our 10-year Parks Master Plan
• Received the All-American City designation for civic engagement, collaboration, inclusiveness and innovation, and successfully address local issues.
• Approved four new Art in Public Places
• Approved a Façade improvement for local businesses in the form of $2500 grants
• Began Sustainability and Resiliency collaboration with the American Flood Coalition and Resilient 305
• Nearly completed the redrafting of the Downtown Code after a nearly 2-year moratorium
• Moved forward on the transformation of Franjo Road
• Expanded the successful Freebee on demand with Freebee mini busses and opened a second Park and Ride location
• Opened Fire Station #62 on Old Cutler Road and welcomed a new fire suppression truck at Station #50
• Passed Palmetto Bay Path connectivity of pedestrian and bicycle path around perimeter roads of village
This is just a small part of all that was accomplished by our Council and our talented staff. The story of 2020 stretches before us unwritten. I am excited for the future of Palmetto Bay and honored to be serving our residents. As we write the next chapter in our Village's history, I look forward to continuing to include your voice in the process.
I wish you and yours a happy and healthy 2020. As always, I am here to answer questions or lend a helping hand. Please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 305-904-1805. Together we can make Palmetto Bay an even better place to live, work, learn, and play.